The Holy Gospel according to the Prairie Messiah

Like a myth you rode in from the west. From the go you had my button pressed. Did the tea-time of your soul Make you long for wilder days? Did you never let Jack Kerouac Wash over you in waves?

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

There's a bathroom on the right.

I certainly needed the long weekend, but honestly, I really could use another couple of days off. I actually got up and went to Sunday school, sort of. In lieu of Sunday school the church had an Easter breakfast. I’m not sure who showed up with cheese grits, but I think they spiked them with a tranquilizer because I kept nodding off during the service.

I made bread for the brunch. Once again, thank you, thank you Renae for sharing that awesome no-knead recipe. There wasn’t a crumb of that bread left. Everyone raved about it and I tried to explain how incredibly easy that recipe is and even offered to share the recipe, but I had no takers. I think most people believe that making bread is some laborious time-consuming process, but with that recipe, it’s really not. Man, that recipe is so great. Most of the time I forget all about the step where you let the dough rest on the counter, covered in cling wrap for 15 minutes and instead dump the dough out, fold it once or twice before wrapping it in a tea towel for the final rise. It turns out fine. I really do not believe anybody could mess that recipe up, unless they forgot completely that they were making bread or did something really stupid, like forget to add the water.

Jean’s mom, Rosie arrived from Minnesota yesterday for her yearly visit and somehow somebody (ahem, JEAN…) got the impression that it should be a tradition that I bake lots of bread when Rosie is here. I think that maybe last spring, when Rosie was visiting, I was trying out a lot of different bread recipes and Jean had a new loaf of fresh, hot, homemade bread at her house every other day, because there was no way I could eat all that stuff. It looks like I need to produce a couple of loaves this week in celebration of Rosie. I just wish I could find a use for that buckwheat flour, or perhaps I could use some very sparingly in the bread that I make this week, but I’m afraid it will not rise to the occasion. Har. Har.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the recipe! It is pretty amazing how easy it is. I sometimes skip that one step, too. The closest I have come to messing the recipe up is when we were in Charleston and I made it from memory and only used 1/4 tsp salt, thinking it was the same as the yeast. I remembered when it was too late, and thought it tasted terrible, but everyone else said it was fine. I tried to convince my parents they could make this bread, but they, too, weren't interested. Too bad for them!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that I can make foccatta(sp?) bread from that same recipe. I have a pizza stone that might do the job, that is the diameter is not too small. What would that be dusted with in lieu of corn meal or wheat bran for that? Any other suggestions?

P.S. When I made bread bowls with that recipe, I dusted it with corn meal which made the crust seem extra crunchy. It was so much fun to tear the bowl apart and eat it after finishing the soup.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use semolina to dust my bread/pizza peel and the baking stones when I'm making hearth breads.

There's a recipe for focaccia in the Bread Baker's Apprentice; I'll take a look at it tonight and see how different is it from the no-knead recipe. I know one of the main things is you paint it with olive oil and poke holes in it with your fingers.

By the way, my mother also used to think they were saying "There's a bathroom on the right"!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do compare the two recipes and let me know something! :D

Oh, I still think Manfred Mann's Earth Band says "A little early birdie gave my anus curly wurly and asked me if I needed a ride" in Blinded By The Light. That song was so weird, with all those runners douching in the night and silicone sisters with manager misters.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipes for focaccia in the Bread Baker's Apprentice are pretty different than the no-knead recipe. Less water, more yeast, and tons of oil. I can type the basic recipe up for you if you like, but I'll warn you that it sounds pretty messy to knead without a mixer because although it has a smaller water ratio than the no-knead recipe, it's still a pretty wet dough. How were you going to go about making your focaccia? I suspect you could use a little less water in the no-knead recipe, then when it's ready to bake, smooth out on a sheet pan, then poke holes with your fingers and brush with oil (my recipe calls for herbed oil).

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YOU with the "anus curly whirly"!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home